- Chief Medical Editor’s Page
- Hemianopsia, a Rare Associated Finding With Multiple Sclerosis
- Help Your Patients Get the Most out of Cataract Surgery
- Evolution of MIGS Means Progress in Glaucoma
- Take Care of the Ocular Surface in Glaucoma
- “If I Could Turn Back Time ...“
- 2016: The Year in Approvals
- Business Perspective
- What Makes Eye Care Tick?
- Industry Leaders Discuss Collaborative Care, Consolidation, and More
- EyeGate Throws R&D Behind Innovative Drug- Delivery Devices
- Sun Pharma Launches First Branded Ophthalmic Product, Expands Pipeline
- Better Delivery of Topical Drops
- Advancing Nutrition and Eye Health
- Innovations in Regenerative Medicine
- Eyelid Heat Treatment Leads to Fast DED Resolution
- Understanding Clinical Trial Data
- Visual Electrophysiology Aids Early Diagnosis, Treatment Monitoring, Disease Tracking
Since its inception nearly 20 years ago, ScienceBased Health (SBH) has been a leading provider of innovative evidence-based nutraceuticals for eye health. SBH is committed to helping eye care practitioners enhance their level of patient care and satisfaction through product innovation, leadership and education. The combination of the company’s “science-first” approach and its practice-integration expertise is a key reason why SBH’s products are distributed and recommended by thousands of optometrists and ophthalmologists nationwide.
PIONEERING NUTRITION IN EYE CARE
In 1997, a group of forward-thinking ophthalmologists and optometrists recognized that compelling research supporting the role of nutrition in eye health was emerging, but at the same time the dietary supplement industry seemed plagued by confusion and misinformation. The varying degrees of product quality, questionable claims, and overwhelming number of choices created more questions than answers.
To address this opportunity, SBH was founded as the first nutritional supplement company focused exclusively on eye health. The company’s mission was twofold: to develop evidence-based products to support visual health, and to make it easy for doctors to recommend and provide these nutritional supplements to patients. The company distributes directly to eye care practitioners and their patients, a model that allows SBH to vet and react swiftly to new, compelling research without the lengthy process associated with retail distribution.
SBH was the first supplement company to offer formulations in categories such as dry eye, optic nerve health, and more.
In November 2001, the results of the National Eye Institute-sponsored AREDS clinical trial were published,1 marking a shift in the acceptance of the role of nutritional supplementation in ocular health. This large-scale trial found that participants with moderate to advanced AMD taking an antioxidant and zinc supplement had a significantly greater chance of preserving their eyesight compared with those taking a placebo.
A nutritional supplement based on this research would eventually become part of the standard of care for treatment of patients with certain forms of AMD. SBH was first to market with a nutritional product based on the AREDS research, and later introduced the first combination AREDS-based supplement with a built-in multivitamin for macular and whole body health.
SBH is committed to scientifically validating its proprietary formulations with high quality, well-designed studies. For example, a multicenter, placebo-controlled, double-masked study found that HydroEye, SBH’s patented formulation for dry eye, helped to improve dry eye symptoms, keep inflammation at bay, and maintain corneal smoothness.2 A clinical trial evaluating SBH’s Optic Nerve Formula was recently completed, and the company has plans for additional clinical trials assessing the efficacy and safety of other products.
SBH is actively committed to aiding new discoveries in the field of nutrition and eye health, such as a project led by researchers at Harvard University exploring the role of nutrition in the pathogenesis of AMD.
CONTINUING TO INNOVATE AND DIFFERENTIATE
SBH plans to maintain a unique position in the market by continuing to pioneer new product categories and influence industry trends. SBH formulations address a spectrum of eye-related concerns, including dry eye disease, macular health, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and preventive health. SBH is not biased toward the success of any particular nutrient, thus objectively positioning the company to be flexible in following the best science. n
1. Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group. A randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of high-dose supplementation with vitamins C and E, beta carotene, and zinc for age-related macular degeneration and vision loss: AREDS report no. 8. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001;119(10):1417-1436.
2. Sheppard Jr JD, Singh R, McClellan AJ, et al. Long-term supplementation with n-6 and n-3 PUFAs improves moderate-to-severe keratoconjunctivitis sicca: a randomized double-blind clinical trial. Cornea. 2013 Oct 1;32(10):1297-304.
• Director of marketing, ScienceBased Health
• firstname.lastname@example.org; (415) 515-5451
• Product science specialist/project manager, ScienceBased Health
• email@example.com; (281) 885-7724